A couple of years ago we replaced our troop’s tents with the Marmot Limelight 3 (you can read about the rationale and the Marmot Limelight here)
The folks at Teton sports offer a similar design, the Teton Mountain Ultra 3 . I had my first chance to set up the Teton Mountain Ultra 3 this weekend, and wanted to share my first impressions.
- Like the other Teton gear I have reviewed I was impressed with the over quality of the tent.
- The bags for tent, poles, stakes, and ground cloth are a cut above what you;d expect for this price. They are sturdy and well-made, much more durable than the ones Marmot provides.
- The bendy wire stakes are disappointing (but that’s not unusual, I typically upgrade tent stakes).
- The tent, fly and ground cloth are all well constructed, and the poles appear to be very good quality.
I set up in the dark and found it was reasonably intuitive and easy to set up. Rather than sleeves for the poles there are a series of clips making setting up quick and simple. The interior tent (see the picture above) is bug netting with a reasonably generous “tub” shaped floor. This makes the Teton Mountain Ultra 3 suitable for 3 seasons, but that’s rather relative. I’d be a little reluctant to take this out much below freezing. The fly would certainly retain some heat, and I believe you could pitch the tent to bring the edges of the fly a bit closer to the ground to restrict air flow.
The fly forms two large vestibules at either side, and there are two doors. I’d think the 3 man model is plenty large enough for three adults and their gear, and even four smaller Scouts.
My first impression is the Teton Mountain Ultra (available in 1,2,3 and 4 man models) is certainly worth your attention. I think it is comparable to the Marmot Limelight at a significant savings.
TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent w/footprint $177.26 at Amazon at this writing.
Here’s the specifications and manufacturer’s video:
- Dimensions: 90″ x 78″ x 49″
- Packed Dimensions: 23″ x 6.75″ 6.75″
- Total Weight: 6.5 pounds
- Rainfly: 75D 3mm Ripstop 3000mm PU
- Inner Tent Shell: Micro Mesh
- Capacity: 3 person
- Doors and Vestibule(s): 2
- Color: Orange/Black
- Pole System: T6 Aluminum Cross and Ridge Poles
I requested and received the Teton Mountain Utra 3 from Teton for the purpose of writing this review.