What’s your Scouter Mission Statement? Mission statements are a reference point, an expression of intentions and goals, they are useful reminders to stay the course.
Here’s a starting point;
Scouter Mission Statement
As a Scouter I will;
- Create and nurture an environment for learning leadership and developing a sense of direction.
- Value the decisions and autonomy of the scouts and maintain the proper balance of advice and control between youth and adult leadership.
- Encourage this autonomy by guarding their decisions and plans from undue influence of adult leadership.
- Maintain the highest expectations of all members despite disappointments.
- Admit my own mistakes openly, maybe even joyfully.
- Encourage others to do likewise by never punishing honest mistakes.
- Look for opportunities to delegate authority in important matters
- Listen carefully to the desires and concerns of others in making decisions and giving direction.
- Exercise tolerance and self control in times of stress.
- Present and maintain a program within the bounds of propriety and safety.